these beauties are called congo bars.
they are delicious.
and they are dairy free, gluten free, grain free, refined sugar free...they are pretty much everything-free. except nut free. if you are nut-free, then you're tough outta luck with this one. bummer.
the original recipe can be found HERE.
Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup almond butter **
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 – 1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8×8 pan or line with parchment paper.
2. Combine wet ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well with an electric mixer.
3. Combine almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
4. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix well with mixer.
5. Mix in chocolate chips and spread batter in greased 8×8 pan.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
**i have tried substituting peanut butter for the almond butter and they come out fine and taste really yummy both ways.
i actually let the boys eat these for breakfast. being made mostly of almonds, these babies are full of protein! i'm happy sending them off to school with some healthy protein and fat in their bellies!
and a couple chocolate chips always help to start the day out right, too!
with regard to sensory processing disorder, harrison eats very little - and i really do mean VERY LITTLE - that is healthy for him. and it's not that he's a picky eater. well, he is a picky eater. but he's not just choosing to be finicky, as my grandma gladys would say. who says finicky anymore? the issue seems to be the texture of food. mostly, he likes soft, chewy, easy-to-eat foods. he might also be sensitive to certain tastes, although i haven't been able to narrow that down yet.
i used to be able to hide healthy things in his food. no longer. which brings us back to congo bars. harrison might think they are a sweet treat (and they kind of are, what with the honey and chocolate chips). BUT, again, they have a ton of brain and heart healthy fat and protein. two things he just does not eat on regular basis.
so congo bars have become a dear friend here at the white house. i'm sure they'd like to become your friend too!